Sunday 17 February 2013

After taking control of Singapore

Soon after taking control of Singapore, the Kempeitai carried out Sook Ching which aimed to identify and eliminate suspected anti-Japanese elements among the Chinese community. All Chinese men between 18 and 50 years of age were told to report at certain centres such as the YMCA building at Stamford Road and the Central Police Station at South Bridge Road. They were 'examined' by the Japanese. At some centres, informers wearing hoods or masks would simply point out certain people as anti-Japanese elements. The lucky ones who were not identified were given a small piece of paper, with the Chinese word 'Examined' rubber-stamped on them. They were then allowed to go home.
Those who were identified as anti-Japanese were taken in lorries to Changi and other beaches on the east coast. This was what happened to one of those who were taken away in the lorries: " We were next told to move off towards the sea. When all of us were in the water, the machine guns opened fire. I was at the far end of my group. When my companions were hit, they fell down and pulled down the rest of us. As I fell, I was hit on the face by a bullet. The machine guns then stopped firing. The soldiers came round to knife us with their bayonets. I shut my eyes. A soldier stepped on me to knife my neighbour. He did not turn to knife me. I kept my eyes shut. After some time, I heard the sound of lorries driving off.
-Adapted from When Singapore was Syonan-to by N. I. Low



Information taken from : Marshall Cavendish Education (2007). SINGAPORE FROM SETTLEMENT TO NATION PRE-1819 TO 1971. Singapore. MOE Building 

No comments:

Post a Comment